Macao - located on the western bank of the Pearl River Delta in southern Guangdong Province, People's Republic of China - adjoins the Mainland city of Zhuhai and lies some 60 kilometres to the west of Hong Kong. Macao comprises Macao Peninsula, Taipa and Coloane. Macao Peninsula is the hub of the territory and is connected to Taipa by three bridges. Several large international hotel resorts - with new supporting infrastructure - are located on the reclaimed land between Taipa and Coloane in the newly developed district known as Cotai..
Macau World Heritage
Built in 1874, this building was constructed to accommodate an Indian regiment from Goa appointed to reinforce Macao's police force. Now it serves as the headquarters of the Marine and Water Bureau. The Moorish Barracks is a distinctly neo-classical building integrating architectural elements of Moghul influence.
A-Ma Temple already existed before the city of Macao came into being. The name “Macao” is believed to derive from the Chinese “A-Ma-Gau” meaning “Bay of A-Ma”, on which A-Ma Temple is located. A-Ma Temple is situated halfway up the western slope of Barra Hill. It consists of the Gate Pavilion, the Memorial Arch, the Prayer Hall, the Hall of Benevolence, the Hall of Guanyin, and Zhengjiao Chanlin (a Buddhist pavilion),each forming a small part of the well-ordered complex which sits in perfect harmony with the natural environment. The variety of pavilions dedicated to the worship of different deities in a single complex make A-Ma Temple an exemplary representation of Chinese culture inspired by Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism and multiple folk beliefs.
The Ruins of St. Paul’s refer to the façade of what was originally the Church of Mater Dei built in 1602-1640 and the ruins of St. Paul’s College, which stood adjacent to the Church, both destroyed by fire in 1835. As a whole, the old Church of Mater Dei, St. Paul’s College and Mount Fortress were all Jesuit constructions and formed what can be perceived as the Macao’s “acropolis”.
Originally built by the Jesuits before 1560, this is one of the oldest churches of Macao. The present-day building was the result of the works carried out in 1846. Situated on the southern coastline of Macao overlooking the sea, families of Portuguese sailors used to gather on the front steps of the church to pray and wait for their return, hence it was given the name: Feng Shun Tang (Hall of the Soothing Winds).
This temple is located close to the old Chinese Bazaar area, which nowadays functions as St. Dominic's Market, still keeping the essence of the original function of the area. The location of this Chinese construction at the heart of the main city square with its predominantly western-style architecture illustrates the harmonious coexistence of the two cultures. This temple is directly associated with long-standing Chinese business associations, precursors to the Chinese Chamber of Commerce in the city.
Built between 1622 and 1638, this fortress was, together with Mount Fortress, invaluable in fending off the attempted Dutch invasion of 1622. Inside the fortress stands Guia Chapel, built around 1622, and Guia Lighthouse, dating from 1865, the first modern lighthouse on the Chinese coast. Macao takes its co-ordinates from the exact location of the lighthouse. Guia Chapel was originally established by Clarist nuns, who resided at the site before establishing the Convent of St. Clare. In 1998 frescoes were uncovered inside Guia Chapel during routine conservation work. The chapel’s elaborate frescoes depict representations of both western and Chinese themes, displaying motifs of religious and mythological inspiration that are a perfect example of Macao’s multicultural dimension. Guia Fortress, along with the chapel and lighthouse are symbols of Macao’s maritime, military and missionary past.
Built before 1869, this was the traditional Chinese residential compound home of prominent Chinese literary figure Zheng Guanying, whose works on economic markets influenced both Dr Sun Yat Sen and Mao Tse Tung and were invoked by them in promoting major historic changes in China. This traditional Chinese residential complex is located adjacent to Lilau Square, one of the city’s first Portuguese-style piazzas, illustrating Macao’s multicultural background in this mix of architectural features and the building’s immediate and contrasting urban environment.
Founded in 1587 by three Spanish Dominican priests who originally came from Acapulco in Mexico, this church is also connected to the Brotherhood of Our Lady of the Rosary. It was here that the first Portuguese newspaper was published on Chinese soil, A Abelha da China [“The China Bee”], on 12th September 1822. In 1929, this church integrated the worship of Our Lady of Fátima into its religious service, based on the account of the miraculous sighting that three shepherd children witnessed in Fátima, Portugal. After its establishment in Macao, through this church, the popular cult of Our Lady of Fátima expanded to Shiu-Hing, Timor, Singapore and Malacca.
Recognized as the most internationally prestigious event on the local calendar, the legendary Macau Grand Prix - now edging into its sixth decade - pits the best motorcycle, WTCC and Formula 3 racers in the world against each other and the clock in dedicated competitions along the narrow, twisting Guia street circuit of Macao city.